When cooking with oil or greasy meat, there’s always the possibility of the grease igniting. Here’s how to prevent a grease fire from ruining more than just your dinner.
Grease Fire Do’s
Above all, remain calm. Here’s what you should do:
- Put on oven mitts to protect your hands.
- Eliminate the heat source by turning off the stove.
- Your first choice is to put out the fire with an extinguisher.
- If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, cover the pan with a lid or a towel soaked in cold water.
- As a last resort, cut off the fire’s oxygen supply by smothering it with baking soda or salt.
- We can’t emphasize this enough – always keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Put it in clear sight and make it easy to access.
Grease Fire Dont’s
First and foremost, don’t panic. Here’s what you should NOT do:
- NEVER throw water on a grease fire. It just spreads the flames.
- NEVER use flour or sugar. It can actually cause an explosion.
- Don’t pick up the pan. The risk of spilling grease is too high.
- Avoid touching anything until it’s completely cool.
- Don’t hesitate to call 911 if you can’t handle the situation.
- Never attempt to deal with a fire without first protecting yourself. Ultimately, your “things” can be replaced, but you can’t. It’s just not worth the risk.