EMERGENCY TOLL FREE (877) 714-0050

Monsoon 2017 - Flood Insurance

As the monsoon season comes into full force, I thought it might be time to revisit Flood insurance vs. Homeowner’s insurance. Flood insurance is defined as over the ground flooding, and is managed by FEMA or the Federal Emergency Management Agency which is a division of Homeland Security. To be eligible for this insurance you need to be in a predetermined flood zone. These flood ranges are determined by the U.S. Geological Service and the insurance industry as Flood Zones A thru Z, this helps to assign a level of risk. Risks would be a structure in an area that is likely to see damage every 25, 50 or 100 years. If your home has water enter under your door, or through the wall that has touched the ground for whatever reason? This will only be covered through flood insurance and will likely be denied coverage by your homeowner’s policy. (I have seen a few policies that will cover certain accidents such as a city water main break.) If you are in a flood zone, your insurance agent has probably already pointed this out to you. If you declined this coverage you likely signed a waiver stating so. Flood Insurance is relatively cheap compared to the coverage it provides. Homeowners insurance covers sudden and accidental losses that happen inside the home or from a damaged roof or window. Water damage as a result of your home or businesses Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical and Appliances are all normally covered under your policy. If you are not in a flood zone, make sure your landscaping forces heavy rain away from the home on all sides. Call us regardless, as education and direction is a big part of what we do.